Our stake had a Noche Mexicana. They performed little dances and scenes of the history here. There were sisters who danced with lit candles on their heads in their traditional dresses. The men all have this big bow tie and sombreros. It is awesome! Their pledge is super different, they don't put their hand on their heart. It is parallel to the ground by your chest. I don't know if that makes sense... haha.
They also sang this song that is seriously ten minutes long! It is their national anthem. It has been super fun to be here for this great celebration!
Today we went to Central. Which is like the Salt Lake City of Utah. I still have some left over money for my birthday, and bought a traditional dress with a peacock on it. It is super cool! I am going to wear it tomorrow. :)
Hermano Petronilo has changed so much since his baptism. He is a different person. Before he got baptized he said, look i cant get baptized because i cant be a missionary like you two. I don't know how to read or write, and i cant walk well. We told him, oh Hermano! Don't worry, it is not required of you to do that! Well, this week he came with us to a lesson with an investigator. He bore his testimony, and the whole room was filled with the spirit. It was so awesome! This investigator is super stubborn too, but when Petronilo spoke, he really started to understand. He asked him a lot of questions and was really listening. Petronilo said, i don't know how to read or write, but it doesn´t matter because God speaks to my heart. You need to pray so that God can speak to your heart too. It was incredible!
After that we took a taxi back to his house. We were talking to the driver and asking him how he is doing. He said that his wife had just left him and is really suffering. We continued talking a little bit, and then i said, wow the same thing happened to Hermano Petronilo. Then i asked Petro, was it hard? He said yes. Then i asked and how did you overcome this trial? He said i am happy, because i found my family. Then i asked, who is your family? He said you sisters, and all the members in the church. I love them and i know that they love me. My mouth hit the floor. It was so pure and sweet. I have never heard something so true. We are family. We are always here to love and support our brothers and sisters. Sometimes they feel so alone, like Petronilo, but now that he is a member of the true church, he doesn´t feel alone. He understands.
My favorite thing about the mission is seeing people progress and change. It is incredible. They have hard lives, very hard lives. But they know that this is the answer. It will all be OK because we are where we are supposed to be. I know that it is true.
I read a letter written by a stake president that he wrote to his son who was on a mission. It changed my perspective. I tried to find it on lds.org, but i couldn´t. Maybe i will take a picture of it and send it to you. It is called Be Purified. Holy cow it was amazing. It is the little things that keep us away from the spirit. If we just purify ourselves a little bit more, we will always have the spirit to be with us.
I know this gospel is true. I know that we always have support from our brothers and sisters, and our Heavenly Father. When we are stressed to the max, all we need to do is pray. Instantly we can find peace. I know i would be a total mess without the church. I am so grateful that i have so many blessings.
I love you all! I hope that this week is filled with blessings from the Lord.
Love, Hermana Anderson
Paul found a link to the talk Ashley referenced above.
No comments:
Post a Comment