Thursday, November 7, 2013

First Letter Home from the MTC: Hola Familia! Nov 7, 2013

Hola!!

Please don't pay attention to my grammar and spelling. I have no time to check what i am typing. And after studying so much spanish, my spelling is so much worse already!! 

Wow!! What an experience!! Just in case you forgot, i am a Missionary!! I still cant believe it. I got honked at by some people while we were walking to church and i think that was when it really hit me! I wont be doing the honking anymore! :)


I pinky promise i have not forgotten about you!! I am not allowed to write AT ALL except on P-days. Lo siento!

There is so much i need to tell you and i only have one hour to type, so i ask that if you send me a letter (which i have loved getting by the way! thank you) please send it via DearElder or through the mail. I can get it during the week. That way i don't have to spend the hour reading instead of typing. Thank you!

This past week we have broken probably fifty rules unintentionally, of course. Our days are scheduled to the minute. It is great, but there is a lot to remember. I am not allowed to write letters during the week, but i can read them. One rule that has been the hardest for me is...... drum roll please...... NO GUM!!!! I decided that i didnt want to follow that rule. But i am a representative of Jesus Christ, and if He asks me to got chew gum, i will obey. Mom, if you get a really heavy package in the mail, its my gum. It's harder than i thought to be exactly obedient. Our whole lives we justify it thinking it doesn't pertain to us. But I know that it does. I encourage you to do the same. 

First of all, I absolutely LOVE my companera, Hermana Thompson. We are convinced we knew each other and were best friends in the Pre-earth life. She is so great! She is from Disneyland! Origionally i was in a trio. Hermana Carlsen is incredible too! But sadly we got split up. :( She is still in my apartment though! :) 
We are at Yview. It is very nice! My room is so big. We have 2 walk in closets and 2 desks. It's too bad we cant study there. 

The first day was so exciting! A little overwhelming, but exciting. Our teachers only speak spanish. I have never heard my teacher speak a lick of english. All i can say is when i come home from my mission i will be a pro at charades! :) 
It is absolutely crazy how much spanish i have learned. I definitely have learned and remembered more spanish in one week than i have in two years. My brain hurts all the time. 

A lot of the Elders here call me Hermana Watson or Hermana Granger. They all think i look like Hermione. ha ha. It was super weird going by Hermana Anderson for about five hours. then i got used to it, and now i actually really love it! :) 

Our companionship goal this week was to learn the first vision in english and spanish. It took us two days and we have finally got both of them down! :) Can i just stress how real the gift of tongues is?!! Holy cow!! It truly is amazing. We have to pray and bear our testimonies in spanish as of day two. We had to read a piece of paper a couple times, then it just came. It really is so powerful. I know that I couldn't ever do this without Heavenly Father. I am so glad i dont have to!

We had to start teaching an investigator in spanish on day two. Talk about challenging!!! We have taught Him five times now, and it is amazing how much better our lessons get every time. I dont have a lot of time to explain, so expect a letter about it! Sorry!

Day 3 was pretty challenging for Hermana Thompson and I. We were trying to plan our second lesson for our 'investigator' in spanish. The first one was pretty much a joke (as expected for our first lesson ever in espanol). I felt like there was so much i wanted to say and do, but this language barrier was killing me! My companion and i prayed together, as we do almost every hour now, and almost immediately a tender mercy was sent from Heaven. A teacher named Hermano Martinez came over and tried talking to us. Of course we couldn't understand what he was saying, so he took a pause and in english said that he doesn't understand missions. I was confused, but he continued, "i dont understand them, because they are not logical. It doesn't make any sense. But when i was on my mission i felt angels on my right and on my left constantly. Heavenly Father knows that you dont know everything, and that is OK. He is here to always help you." I wish I could convey a little bit better what he said. The spirit was so strong that another Hermana didn't even hear what he said and she was crying. It sounds silly because it was only my third day. But Heavenly Father knew exactly what I needed and he gave. 

Heavenly Father wants His children to succeed. 

Another tender mercy from Him was day light savings!!! That was the best! Surprisingly it hasnt been terrible waking up at 6:15 everyday. By the end of the day my brain definitely starts shutting down, but it truly is a blessing that i have remained awake and coherent during. We all know how much of a morning person i am NOT! 

Exciting news moment!! We get to here Elder L. Tom Perry on Tuesday!!! yay!! how exciting! I cant wait to here what he has to say! That will be great! 


I am running out of time. Dang! I will now attempt to send pictures. hopefully i can. 

Hermana Thompson has short hair, Hermana Carlsen has blonde hair, Her companion, Hermana Snow is the shorter one. We have four other sisters in our zone, and yesterday we got eight new sisters! :) The four Elders are in my district. I have it really good! Man i love the MTC!! 

Mom- I need to send some clothes home. I will send them in the next couple weeks. Thank you for my temple reccomend!! phew! I am so excited to go today!! If you could send me my black shirt that would be awesome! thank you!! 
Thank you for the letters. I love them! DearElder is great! 
I will hopefully write more personal letters to you after this. I really have limited time! 

I love you so much! it really helps knowing i have support back home! 

Thank you for everything. 

love,

Hermana Anderson




No comments:

Post a Comment