Monday, November 24, 2014

Nov 23: OK, Happy Thanksgiving?? ?Ahora sí?

This week has been another experience!

We are starting to learn our way around here now. We know where a lot of people live, where not to go, and how long it takes to get there. The only problem is we have one route for everywhere we want to go. We have definitely walked a whole lot more than necessary because we only know how to get to our destination from one way. haha. I am sure by the time we leave we will get it down. :) That always seems to happen. 

We had a zone conference this week. Our zone is a lot smaller than i am used to, but it´s a good one. After the zone conference we couldn´t find the person who we were supposed to eat with, we called all the members we knew but no one seemed to know who she was, or they didn´t answer. Well, Hermana Villarreal invited us to eat with them. We went to a place super similar to (ah i cant remember what it is called... Rodillan (Rodizio) Grill or something??) It is where they pass around unlimited meat on a stick. Sound familiar?? Anyway, it was delicious! It was fun to get to talk to them for awhile just the two of them and the two of us. 

I have a cough. Only at night. I literally cannot talk after six or seven. I only cough and cough. But it is just at night. Who knows why. The members have been super nice. (i think they are just sick of hearing me cough haha) They have made me tea, bought cough drops, syrups, candy everything. 

The weather is crazy. Every day it has been different. It is freezing in the mornings, super hot in the day, then it just drops again. We have to carry around scarves and a coat everywhere we go, while wearing short sleeves during the day. (Tani: Paul and I looked up the weather just yesterday.  Currently the highs are 73 degrees but the lows are 37 degrees. That's quite a swing in temperature!  Also, I asked her to confirm what we'd heard about heaters.  She did, there is not heating in the churches, homes and buildings. The homes are made of cement so they are cold.  She has a tiny heater in her house, she says it helps a little.  Since she's out in the cold all day and even when she comes inside, there is never a period to warm up.  Brrr!)

My companion is doing really well. This week she misses her family more than last. It is normal. But she is still a sweetheart. 

We are planning for a baptism this week. Cute Esmeralda. She is ten years old. At first everyone in her family listened to the missionaries, but now she is the only one who continued and now she wants to be baptized. She comes to church alone. She is super awesome! A tough little girl.

One missionary about a year ago in this area separated four different families so that they could be baptized. They weren´t married, but lived together, so he thought that was super clever to separate them so that they could get baptized then get married after. Dumb! Now we are dealing with the problem because every single couple right after their baptism moved back together. I have a feeling that we are going to see lots of marriages very soon! :) Keep them in your prayers! We will work hard.

It has been fun to get to know every state in the mission. Every state is different. Here the area is half paved road, half dirt. It is a lot more humble. They have a specialty meal. Enchiladas Potosinas. They are tortillas dipped in red salsa filled with cheese and chili then fried. They put sour cream, guacamole and cheese on top with these things called cueritos. It is part of pig skin they are marinated in vinegar. They are actually really yummy! They are kinda chewy and clear. I don't know how to explain it.. They eat a lot spicier here. What a blessing i didn´t start out here. haha

There are a lot of people with complicated stories. We have a few people who want to be baptized but live together. They sleep in different rooms, the only reason they live together is because they don't have enough money to live alone, but they don't want to get married. Another, there is a member who seems to have lost his papers entirely. There is no proof that he is a member at all. He claims that he never got excommunicated, i believe him. But now they are saying that he should get baptized again so that they can have the papers. He got super mad! But he has been inactive for more than 20 years. Its weird.  His daughter wants to be baptized now. She is eight. But we don't know if she is our investigator or how we should register her name, or not because her dad technically is a member.. but not. weird. no one knows the answer. 

Our area is a little more sketchy than any of my other areas. We pretty much have to be with a member every night. But i know that we are protected. If we are smart and obedient, we help ourselves so that God can help us.

I finished the Book of Mormon in Spanish a few weeks ago. I hope that you are all still doing the challenge that i challenged you to do. Highlighting any reference of Jesus Christ? remember? Well, i finished and my book is full of markings! The Book of Mormon truly is a testament of Jesus Christ. He has done SOO much for us. All he does is for our benefit. He loves us! We truly can find happiness through him. 

I started over and am now filling up my book with all the references of the Atonement and what we are able to do because of it. I am only in 1 Nefi, but have learned so much. I am excited to see what else i can find about it. The Atonement is incredible. I love studying about it! 

I know that missionary work is Jesus Christ´s work. He is working hand in hand with us. Members and missionaries. 

I love you all!

Happy.... Holidays! who knows what is going on over there! :)

Hermana Anderson

Tani:  PS  I asked Ashley how she was doing with her missionary budget, etc.  She said she's doing well.  She's learning how to live on her budget and usually has money left over at the end of the pay period.  But she did share this with me:

"There was one day when we were suppossed to pay fast offerings. I thought, shoot i only have 110 pesos and we need to take a taxi today. I will just pay next week when we get more money. Then i thought, no i need to pay it today. It is more important.

I only had enough for one taxi, but we needed to go and then come back... Well when we were going to leave to walk the super long distance while it was dark, an investigator saw us walking and stopped and offered us a ride. 

Isn´t that cool? 3 Nefi 13:30-33 If we seek God first, he will always provide! :)"


I love this girl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment